It’s my birthday, and for my “birthday week,” our Covers of the Week #117 features romance covers from 1977, the year I was born.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Sweet Savage Flame earns a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Theme: It’s My Birthday (Born in 1977)
I’m a GenXer born in 1977—the same year “The King of Rock and Roll,” Elvis Presley, passed away. It’s my birthday this week, and to celebrate, we’ve selected some great romance covers from that year for our Covers of the Week #117.
So, welcome to the world of 1977, a year filled with historical moments and cultural milestones. Let’s journey back in time to explore significant events and trends.
Popular Music in 1977
My favorite album from 1977 is the soundtrack for the film Saturday Night Fever, featuring mega-hits by The Bee Gees and Yvonne Elliman, among others.
My ten favorite songs that were on the Billboard Hot 100 charts that year:
- I Just Want to Be Your Everything by Andy Gibb
- Dancing Queen by Abba
- Easy by The Commodores
- Hotel California by The Eagles
- Barracuda by Heart
- Somebody to Love by Queen
- (Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher by Rita Coolidge
- Keep It Comin’ Love by K.C. and The Sunshine Band
- Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet
- Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band
Events in 1977
- In January, Jimmy Carter was sworn in as the 39th President of the United States, emphasizing hope and unity during a time of challenges. His presidency experienced both high inflation and low economic growth. Carter’s administration saw efforts for peace, including the Camp David Accords between Egypt and Israel and negotiations to free the American hostages in Iran.
- Star Wars (later retitled A New Hope), directed by George Lucas, was released in 1977. It became a global phenomenon and revolutionized filmmaking with its iconic characters, iconic music, and stellar special effects.
- The New York Yankees defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series, winning 4 games to 2. Reggie Jackson was chosen as series MVP and earned his nickname “Mr. October” for his clutch hitting, including three home runs in one game.
- Actress Judith Light joins the cast of the daytime drama One Life to Live in the role of Karen Wolek. Karen is an unhappy housewife forced into prostitution by the blackmailing Marco Dane (Gerald Anthony).
These are just a few highlights from the timeline of events that defined 1977.
But what about romance novels? We have a few beautiful covers from that year to show off!
It’s my birthday! To celebrate my “birthday week,” from Monday, October 2nd, until Sunday, October 8th, 2023, our Covers of the Week #117 showcases romance covers from 1977, my birth year.
What do you think of these romance covers? Have you read any of these books? Which of our picks do you like the best, if any?
Please drop a comment, and let’s talk romance.