Robert Sabin is a renowned American artist known for his captivating book covers, particularly for Zebra romances. He has a rich educational background and a diverse career spanning teaching and commercial illustration.
A Romance Cover Artist to Remember
Dashing Heroes and Heroines of Robert Sabin
Readers of Kensington’s Zebra romances should be familiar with the art of Robert Sabin.
His dashing heroes had piercing gazes and strong, sculpted physiques. The beautiful heroines embraced them as the wind blew through their long, flowing hair. The couple could embrace against a background of stunning land or seascapes that dazzled the eyes.
Robert Sabin is an American-born artist from Michigan. He went to Yale for his B.A. and to Bennington College in Vermont for his master’s degree.
- M.A. in Painting, Bennington College, Bennington, VT, 1974
- Teaching fellowship.
- B.A. in Fine Arts, cum laude, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1971
- Studied landscape painting, figure sculpting, and printmaking
- Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture, Skowhegan, ME, 1971
- Yale Summer School of Music and Art, Norfolk, CT, 1970
- Interlochen Arts Academy, Interlochen, MI, 1967, College Prep
- Graduated with honors in ceramic stuudies.
Since 1977 Robert Sabin has been a working artist..
- 2007–2008, Ceramics Instructor (Permanent Substitute). Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School, South Yarmouth, MA
- Taught Ceramics and Advanced Ceramics, grades 9–12.
- 2000–2007, Art Instructor, The Harvey School, Katonah, NY
- Taught grades 6–12. Courses were foundation drawing, studio art (painting and drawing), darkroom photography, digital photographs (Adobe Photoshop), computer graphic design (Adobe Illustrator), ceramics and wheel-throwing, and History of Western Art.
- 1969–Present, Portrait and Landscape Painter
- Sabin paints on commission (adults, children, horses, pets, and homes).
- 1977–Present, Commercial Illustrator: Book covers, inner llustrations, CD covers, and promo brochures
- 1974-1978, Instructor, Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, Kalamazoo, MI
- Taught all ages, including adults. Courses: Beginning and advanced drawing, beginning and advanced painting, figure drawing, and watercolor painting.
- 1977 Art Instructor, Lake Placid School of Art, Lake Placid, NY
- Intensive summer classes for high school students
- 1972–1974, Teaching Fellow at Bennington College, Bennington, VT
Like the other artists who painted covers for Zebra, like Pino, John Ennis, Walter Popp, and Franco Accornero, Sabin was prolific from the late 1980s to the late 1990s.
Sabin’s book covers were quite beautiful, and he was one of my favorite Zebra cover artists.
Sabin also designed covers for Patricia Veryan’s distinct-looking Georgian, Victorian, and Regency Historical romances.
Robert Sabin’s Art Today
In addition to designing gorgeous book covers, Sabin created artwork for interior illustrations, editorial illustrations, CD covers, and promotional brochures.
He is also a fine painter of portraits, including still-lifes, landscapes, and seascapes. Robert Sabin has taught art to a new generation of artists as well.
If you’re interested in more of Sabin’s fine art, you can visit his website for more details. Here is a sample of his artwork:
Robert Sabin Covers
- Robert Sabin Official Site
- Robert C. Sabin Instagram
- My Sabin Pinterest
- Elisa Rolle – Reviews and Ramblings: Behind the Cover