Heroes of East Asian or Pacific Islander Heritage
Sweet Savage Flame highlights heroes in old-school or retro romance books who were of East Asian or Pacific Islander descent. In older romances, unfortunately, these heroes weren’t very prevalent.
Most heroes in older romances from the eastern continents and islands were Middle Eastern, some from the subcontinent, and many were from fictional countries.
Because of the variety, we’ll address heroes of those descents in a later compilation.
As usual, we try to separate historical romances from series and regular contemporaries.
Category/ Contemporary Romance
Love Conquers All – Roseanne Williams
- Hero: Ty Toranaga (Japanese-American)
- Tropes & Settings: Bodyguard, Animal Smuggling, California
- Published: Harlequin Temptation #350, 1991
- Hero: Nels Seiji (Scandinavian, American, & Japanese)
- Tropes & Settings: Revenge, Class Difference, Forbidden Love
- Published: Silhouette Romance #1300, 1998
Two of a Kind – Jill Bloom
- Hero: “T.C.” (Japanese)
- Tropes & Settings: Look-alikes, Soul Mates, Workaholics
- Published: Harlequin Temptation #37, 1983
- Hero: Tiger Malone (Half Chinese/ Half English)
- Tropes & Settings: Treasure Hunt, Hong Kong, China
- Published: Silhouette Intimate Moments #193, 1987
- Hero: Cash Santelli (half Thai/ half Italian-American)
- Tropes & Settings: Hero Tragic Past, Investigation & Protection; Thailand
- Published: Loveswept #503, Bantam, 1991
- Hero: Shoji Ibaragi (Japanese-American)
- Tropes & Settings: World War II, Internment, Inspirational
- Published: Heartsong Presents #243, Barbour, 1997
- Hero: Dr. Jen Yong (Chinese)
- Tropes & Settings: Communist Revolution, War, China
- Published: Bantam, 1983
- Hero: Sir Hannibal Cheng (English & Chinese)
- Tropes & Settings: Love Triangle, Regency England
- Published: Candlelight Regency Special #656, 1981
- Hero: Prince Banyan (Mongolian)
- Tropes & Settings: Kidnapping, Bodice Ripper, Forced Seduction, Russia, Mongolia
- Published: Ballantine, 1978
Rangoon – Christine Monson
- Hero: Richard “Ramiel” Harley (half Burmese/ half English)
- Tropes & Settings: Revenge, Kidnapping, Bodice Ripper, Burma
- Published: Avon, 1985
Mari – Donna Anders
- Hero: Adam Foster (half-Hawaiian/ half-Anglo-American)
- Tropes & Settings: Worlds Apart, Class Difference, Hawaii
- Published: Harlequin Historical, 1991
Did I miss any heroes from romances you’ve read?
As always, please drop a comment, and let’s talk romance.